About Me

My photo
hey! My name is Kyle Cook. Recently me and my girlfriend Stephanie have had to be parted while she's working in Austria, and Me here in New york city. We thought it would be fun to keep a blog of the different meals we make since when we are together our lives are heavily influenced by cooking. Steffi is going pescaterian and gluten free right now. So she should be posting some really cool stuff. We will be posting various different recipes we have done on our own or together, as well and restaurants we have tried. This is the closest we can get to cooking together and keep that part of us alive and well. Hope you enjoy it. - k+s

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Wiener Schnitzel

So last week I made some classic austrian Schitnzel with a slight change. I used chicken instead of Veal. There is something disturbing about me using Veal. It freaks me out to think that it's a baby cow who has never seen daylight and has never stood up until it's killed. I also made some potato salad, and cucumber salad. There is this place hee in NYC on Ave. C. and 7th St. called Zum Schneider which is a classic german place and has some of the best food of that type in NY. But the problem is they tend to be a bunch of little elitist assholes. And it's always packed full of ex frat boys. 

Everything was super easy to make with this and surprisingly quick. Also this gave me so many leftover it was ridiculous I had so give some away.



The cook book I used was from austria and it has measurements but it really cooks more like my mother where things are done to taste. 

First I boiled some potatoes about 2-3 pounds. I wanted leftovers so I made more. You boil them but watch them so they don't get mushy, just tender. Then drain and slice them but not to thin. Bow make a mixture of vinegar, sugar, water, one red onion,beef broth, salt and pepper. Then pour it over and mixed together and garnish with chives. Then let it sit because the more it marinates the better it tastes. you can eat it warm or cold.  ( I also like a mix of red and yellow potatoes, not baking dir covered ones)




The cucumber salad is really easy. Thats just some sour cream, water, more vinegar, and some sugar. Lots of pepper, but be careful because the regular pepper is deceptively spicy. Make your mixture of wet ingredients and let it sit in the fridge, while you mince a buttload of garlic and mix in with sliced cucumbers. The garlic is key to marinate with lots of salt on the cucumbers before you mix it together with the sour cream mixture. 


The fried chicken is very easy too. What I did was pound it thin even though cutlets are pretty thin already and might be fine on there own. 

Then what I did was cut them a little on the edges so they wouldn't curl up. Then you simply flour, coat with 4 egg mixture, and bread crumbs. Then fry in oil. I used a combination of grape-seed and vegetable oil. what ever you use it will attribute some flavor to your meal. Don't ever fry in olive oil it burns too easily. Avocado oil is the best to fry anything in due to it's extremely high burning point. Also grape-seed and almond oils are excellent. Canola is fine too but not the best for you.   Fry it to its golden brown and remove with tongs. That's the easiest way. I also patted it down with paper towels to remove some grease. Have fun hope it tastes good!


- k

1 comment: