About Me

My photo
hey! My name is Kyle Cook. Recently me and my girlfriend Stephanie have had to be parted while she's working in Austria, and Me here in New york city. We thought it would be fun to keep a blog of the different meals we make since when we are together our lives are heavily influenced by cooking. Steffi is going pescaterian and gluten free right now. So she should be posting some really cool stuff. We will be posting various different recipes we have done on our own or together, as well and restaurants we have tried. This is the closest we can get to cooking together and keep that part of us alive and well. Hope you enjoy it. - k+s

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Kristin's Pumpkin Soup

My roommate Kristin made some really amazing pumpkin soup for the two of us yesterday. I was really beat from the weekend, so I really was no help at all in the kitchen. She prepared the whole thing all by herself, and I did the dishes after. Neither of us are really the kind of people to follow directions in cooking. We both just go by feeling, so I don't have any measurement, but I highly recommend to just go with your gut! It is a super simple recipe anyways!

One hokkaido pumpkin (you don't have to remove the skin of this pumpkin, if organic)

save the pumpkin seeds
Milk
yogurt 
lemon or white wine
pumpkin seed oil
salt
pepper
bouillon cube
(vegans- just skip the yogurt and replace milk with rice milk)

Cut the pumpkin in to medium sized pieces, and save the pumpkin seeds. Boil the pumpkin in some water until soft. Once they are through pour out some of the water and puree, slowly adding milk and water until the desired consistency is reached (trust your gut) Put it back on the flame and simmer. Meanwhile take your seeds and throw them in a pan with some melted butter or olive oil and fry them up until they are super crunchy. Let them get darker then they are in the picture, because ours were not through all the way! Add the lemon or wine, salt and pepper, as well as a little bouillon, all of this to taste. Lemon or wine, according to Kristin is essential (or else the soup is to, quote "bampfig und nussig"), so don't be shy with it. A little splash of pumpkin seed oil after serving, as well as a spoon full of yogurt, and that's it.Truly simple and really delicious.
( pumpkin seed oil is one of my favorites! it is even super hard to find in NYC, but one place I know of that sell's it is 'the cheese shop' on bedford ave. williamsburg. Sadly it is overpriced because it is so hard to find, but I think it's worth it! )

Thank you Kristin!
-Steffi
( Kristin and I have been planning on making some homemade bouillon, so I will be posting that recipe soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment