About Me

My photo
hey! My name is Kyle Cook. Recently me and my girlfriend Stephanie have had to be parted while she's working in Austria, and Me here in New york city. We thought it would be fun to keep a blog of the different meals we make since when we are together our lives are heavily influenced by cooking. Steffi is going pescaterian and gluten free right now. So she should be posting some really cool stuff. We will be posting various different recipes we have done on our own or together, as well and restaurants we have tried. This is the closest we can get to cooking together and keep that part of us alive and well. Hope you enjoy it. - k+s

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Growing up

I'm a really huge burger fan. It's probably my favorite food. In the summer it's nice to make and grill your own burgers and make variations on them each time but sometimes a prepared burger is just as good. This time I bought pre-made burgers from whole foods, which are jalapeno cheddar cheese. Home made fries are easier than you think to.

When I was growing up my mom would make frozen french fries every so often when it was a late night of dinner or my dad was traveling. The problem with frozen fries is that they tend to be those ripple cut fatty ones that never seem to cook fully and therefore just sit there in a soggy mess. I really dislike soggy uncooked fatty fries. I love the thinner cut style which obviously so does most of America, with all the fast food places following suit.

This was the first time I made homemade french fries. I julienned the potatoes and then put the sticks into a bowl and coated with some olive oil, cayenne pepper, paprika, minced garlic or garlic powder, some onion powder, tiny bit of mustard powder, and dried herbs like parsley. Give it a quick toss and spread them evenly on a baked sheet covered in non stick foil. Through them in there at like 425 which is arbitrarily my favorite temperature.

The first time i did this the fries came out a little soggy but not bad. So the next time what I did was cut the sticks a little thinner just a tiny bit, and then cooked them for a lot longer, giving them the crispiness they needed. I just kept checking on them but it's surprisingly hard to burn them so just keep a look out and it'll take like 40 minutes so it's good to start them long before your meal. I also added some hot sauce in this time instead of dried chili powder.

Serve the burger with a little salad some homemade dressing and that's a full hearty meal. I will be making a more in depth burger update. Because burgers can range from very complex to very simple.

- kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment